-- Working smoke alarms lower a person's chances of dying in a home fire by half, according to the National Safety Council. These alarms should be tested monthly.
In addition, you should have a fire safety plan for your family, the organization stresses, offering these additional suggestions:
- Practice home fire drills at least twice a year.
- Draw a floor plan of your home with exit areas clearly marked.
- Know at least two ways from any room to leave the home.
- Keep at least one fire extinguisher at home, and make sure all family members know how to use it.
- Include a game in your fire safety plan to make it memorable for your children.